Monday, March 10, 2008

over-rated


Rock & Sole plaice
Originally uploaded by chowen
I've passed this place for a numerous of times and it always looked so busy inside. Not a big fan of English cuisine, it took a while before I finally set foot in it.
The restaurant was cozy and "traditional" looking (and smelling); although basement was somewhat dark and lonely. Known for its fish & chips, there were many types of fishes on offer; from cod, haddock to other types of white fishes like plaice and skate.

While we sat and waited between the tiled walls; I suddenly noticed the people sitting around us have all come with a guidebook or map; is it as known amongst the locals as for tourists?

The verdict? My ideal choice of haddock as the fish was fresh, and had a sweeter taste than the meaty cod. Apart from that, the batter was stale, chips were cold and the mushy peas unimpressed. Not at all what I had in mind.

Who am I to judge a place that existed long before my time? To be complete honest, I've had better.

-----
Rock and Sole Plaice
47 Endell Street, London, WC2H 9AJ
Standard Fish & Chips £10

View Larger Map

No comments: